I'm Dr J. I hold a doctoral degree in Sport & Performance Psychology with an emphasis in Positive Leadership and a master's degree and professional licensure in traditional counseling.
My home office is in San Antonio, Texas. I work frequently in Southern California and travel nationally, working with athletes, performers, and professionals who want a mental edge. I work face-to-face and via Zoom for online sport psychology training with individuals and groups anywhere in the country.
I work with athletes of all levels and ages, from beginners to Olympic hopefuls and pros. When working with youth athletes, I welcome and encourage parents to participate in the process. I want you to learn what your athlete learns. This creates a common language and shared goals for their mental skills development.
I never intended to work with athletes! My traditional counseling career started out working with juvenile justice youth who had been incarcerated for more than six months with a drug charge. This is a very challenging population. The majority of my kids were in gangs, their family lives were complicated, and they were very near the poverty level. Most didn't want me showing up at their school or house. Because of this, I learned to build rapport with even the toughest kids and families and deliver information quickly and efficiently. As a side note, of the 364 kids who came through my program, NOT ONE was actively engaged in organized sports.
Later, I became the clinical director of a residential drug and alcohol rehab. These people were the opposite of my juvenile justice youth; they were well-off financially and well-educated. They displayed many of the same behaviors, though. Through the similarities, I noticed that many of the people I worked with lacked some basic human functioning skills. I began researching anything I could find about human performance to incorporate into my curriculum. There was so much information I decided to take some classes, which turned into a doc degree in sports and performance psychology. I had to work with athletes through my program and internship, and I loved it. What was never my intention became my passion!
I train athletes to consistently perform at the upper levels of their physical ability. This happens by creating repeatable mental processes that deliver attention to the task at hand every time.
Sports are 10% physical. Size, speed, and skills even out between athletes as they move up competitively. Mind Right Sport Psychology aims to help build the other 90% - the mental game. Working from a positive coaching perspective and using strength-based practices, we train athletes to harness a high-performance mindset through sports psychology. Our work together will build excellence and the pursuit of mastery, helping performers thrive in any environment.
Using sport psychology fundamentals, collaboration occurs with athletes and their systems (parents, coaches, etc.). Mental skills training develops consistent, mentally tough, and dominant athletes. At Mind Right Sport Psychology, we take an innovative approach, using the power of neuroscience to create mental processes that ignite elite performance.
Please contact us if you cannot find an answer to your question.
Sport psychology coaching is a collaborative experience. We work together to discover your goals and use them to create elite-level mental performance. We solidify existing skills, develop new ones, and hone a mindset that fuels consistent, elite performance. We take our clients and their performance very seriously, but we have fun and favor humor in the way we coach. Get ready to learn, laugh, and build the mindset to blow the doors off your competition.
The fundamentals of sport psychology include goal setting, focus, self-talk, managing mental and physical reactions to competition, and imagery/visualization skills. These sit underneath everything we teach our athletes, but we also take an individualized approach based on the athlete's needs, wants, and requirements. While the fundamentals of sport psychology apply to all performance, how they are applied depends on the athlete and the sport. For more details on the fundamentals of sport psychology and what you will learn, check this out.
That's up to the athlete. You'll get some A-ha moments and great stuff to work on immediately. Like the physical side of development, mental skills training takes reps. Experience has shown us that mastery of ANYTHING follows this equation: find a teacher, practice what you learn, get constructive feedback, and repeat. This equation is built into our sport psychology training!